Key things to know about vaping
The Ministry of Health, Quitline and many other New Zealand organisations all agree on the following points:
• The best thing you can do for your health is be smokefree and vape free.
• Vaping is not for children or young people.
• Vaping can help some people quit smoking.
• Vaping is not harmless but it is much less harmful than smoking.
• Vaping is not for non-smokers.
What is vaping?
• Vape devices (also called e-cigarettes) heat a liquid (e-liquid) to produce a vapour that you inhale.
• Some, but not all of those liquids, contain nicotine and are also available in different flavours.
How is vaping different from smoking cigarettes?
• Vaping is not smoking.
• The main difference between vaping and smoking tobacco is that vaping doesn’t involve burning.
• It’s burning tobacco that creates the tar and toxins in tobacco smoke that are responsible for most of the harm caused by smoking.
Is vaping safe?
• Vaping is not harmless, but it is much less harmful than smoking.
• Nicotine is addictive and is the reason people find it hard to quit smoking.
• For people who smoke, nicotine is a relatively harmless drug.
• Vaping is less harmful to those around you than smoking is - there’s no current evidence that second-hand vapour is dangerous to others.
• If you’re vaping, you should buy quality products from reputable sources. Talk to them. It’s important to have good equipment, advice and support.
• And if you don’t smoke… don’t vape.
Can vaping help people quit smoking?
• Yes. Switching to vaping may help you quit smoking.
• Vaping can be a good option for you if you’ve tried other ways to quit smoking (patches, gum etc) and these haven’t helped you quit smoking completely.
• Vaping offers experiences similar to smoking a cigarette, which some people find helpful – and it’s usually cheaper than smoking.
• Vaping products can only be sold to people aged 18 and over.
Should you use nicotine e-liquid?
• If you’re vaping to quit smoking, you’ll have more success using nicotine e-liquid.
Can people vaping get support from Quitline?
• Absolutely yes. We can give you free support if you’re vaping to quit – which will give you a better chance of successfully stopping smoking.
• You’ll probably need to experiment in order to find the right combination of device, flavours and nicotine strength that works for you.
Does Quitline provide subsidised vaping products or nicotine e-liquids?• No, we don’t. But if you are vaping to quit, we can support you with a plan to help you beat the smoking addiction.
Where can I find out more information about vaping?
Vaping Facts is a new website by the Ministry of Health and the Health Promotion Agency. It contains facts about vaping, explains the difference between vaping and smoking and busts some common vaping myths. It also has some great video content, like the one below - featuring Quitline's very own Jordan Taiaroa. Take a look www.vapingfacts.health.nz