What is vaping?
• Vape devices (also called e-cigarettes) heat a liquid (e-liquid) to produce a vapour that you inhale.
• Some, but not all of those liquids, contain nicotine and are also available in different flavours.
How is vaping different from smoking cigarettes?
• Vaping is not smoking.
• The main difference between vaping and smoking tobacco is that vaping doesn’t involve burning.
• It’s burning tobacco that creates the tar and toxins in tobacco smoke that are responsible for most of the harm caused by smoking.
Is vaping safe?
• Vaping is not harmless, but it is much less harmful than smoking.
• Nicotine is addictive and is the reason people find it hard to quit smoking.
• For people who smoke, nicotine is a relatively harmless drug.
• Vaping is less harmful to those around you than smoking is - there’s no current evidence that second-hand vapour is dangerous to others.
• If you’re vaping, you should buy quality products from reputable sources. Talk to them. It’s important to have good equipment, advice and support.
• And if you don’t smoke… don’t vape.
Can vaping help people quit smoking?
• Yes. Switching to vaping may help you quit smoking.
• Vaping can be a good option for you if you’ve tried other ways to quit smoking (patches, gum etc) and these haven’t helped you quit smoking completely.
• Vaping offers experiences similar to smoking a cigarette, which some people find helpful – and it’s usually cheaper than smoking.
• Vaping products can only be sold to people aged 18 and over.
Should you use nicotine e-liquid?
• If you’re vaping to quit smoking, you’ll have more success using nicotine e-liquid.
Can people vaping get support from Quitline?
• Absolutely yes. We can give you free support if you’re vaping to quit – which will give you a better chance of successfully stopping smoking.
• You’ll probably need to experiment in order to find the right combination of device, flavours and nicotine strength that works for you.