How Patches, Gum and Lozenges WorkUsing patches, gum and lozenges for eight weeks can double your chances of quitting. They will reduce your cigarette cravings without damaging your health. They work by replacing some of the nicotine you usually get from cigarettes or tobacco.
Some medical conditions require specialist advice on using nicotine patches, gum and lozenges. If any of the following applies to you, please call Quitline:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You are a diabetic on insulin
- You are taking medication for a mental health condition
- You weigh less than 45 kilos (7 stone)
- You have had a heart attack, stroke or severe angina in the last two weeks.
How To Order
You can order subsidised nicotine patches, gum and lozenges by calling us on 0800 778 778 or online when you register. We’ll send you a Quitcard to take to redeem at your local pharmacy.
A 4 week supply of one of these products costs around $5 with the option of a free repeat. Without the subsidy an 8 week supply of these products could cost you over $200.
To see how to use patches, gum and lozenges watch these clips:
How to use gum
- The gum shouldn’t be chewed like normal gum or you might get hiccups or a sore stomach and the gum won’t work properly to help your cravings.
- Once you start using gum, do not smoke.
- Instead, bite down 1-2 times to release the hot, peppery taste and then ‘park’ it between your gums and cheek to release the nicotine. Some people don’t like the taste at first, but you do get used to it.
- Repeat this 5-6 times over a 30 minute period.
- Do not drink when using the gum, or for up to 15 minutes afterwards because you can also get a sore stomach and hiccups this way. The gum also won’t work properly help your cravings.
- Most people use 8-12 pieces in a 24 hour period. If you need more you can use up to 25 pieces of 2mg gum and 15 pieces of 4mg gum within a 24 hour period.
- Throw the gum away after 30 minutes, safely out of the reach of children and pets.